What is SEND?

Children with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEN) are children who have significantly greater difficulty learning than other children or a disability which means they need different facilities or provision to other children. 

The broad areas of need are:

  • Communication and language

  • Cognition and learning

  • Social, emotional and mental health difficulties

  • Sensory and/or physical needs

How does Oak Hill ensure that children who need extra help are identified early?

Usually, it is the class teachers, using their professional judgement, who will identify pupils who are not progressing well with their learning, despite extra support. They will discuss their concern with the Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCo) and the Headteacher. Further investigation will then follow. This will involve looking at assessments, a child’s progress and age-related expectations together with reference to the Gloucestershire guidance on SEN difficulties that can be experienced by children, which should then establish the ‘area of need’.

What should parents/carers do if they think their child has SEND (Special Educational Needs or a Disability)?

Talk to us – in the first instance contact your child’s class teacher; if you still have concerns you can contact: 

Headteacher: Mr Adam Greaves

SENDCo: Miss Jade Attwood

We pride ourselves on building positive relationships with parents. We are open and honest with parents and hope that they are able to do the same with us.

How will Oak Hill include parents and students in planning support?

Children and families are involved in writing the My Plan, My Plan + or EHCP. There will be meetings to review the child’s progress and agree the outcomes of support. 

For children with a My Plan the meetings will involve the parents, class teacher and possibly the SENCo. For children with a My Plan + or an EHCP other agencies will also be involved.

How does the school support a pupil with SEND?

At Oak Hill pupils with SEND will be taught for the majority of the week with their peers in the classroom. Work set will be appropriate to the ability level of the pupil and where appropriate they may have the additional support of working individually or in a small group with the teacher or a teaching assistant. 

If required, pupils will have access to additional technology or resources to support their learning. They may also be withdrawn from class for short periods to undertake specific activities with either a Teacher, Teaching Assistant or the SENDCo. 

Examples of types of support provided: Visual timetables, Social / emotional group work, Social Stories, TA support (in class or withdrawal), English and Maths booster groups, published schemes for Reading, Maths and Motor Skills, Circle time sessions.

What if a child needs specialist support?

Some SEND pupils may need support from professionals outside the school setting in order to achieve a successful learning journey or to address their specific need.  The school has access to a whole range of services and agencies that can help provide for and support pupils. These include Health services as well as services offered by the Local Authority – specialist support teachers, educational psychologists, teachers for hearing and visual impairment, advisory teachers, behaviour support and voluntary organisations. If a referral to such specialist support is made, the SENCo will help to liaise with the particular agency.

 The formation of a My Plan+ may be necessary when a child’s additional needs require assessment and intervention from different agencies such as education, health and social care. The + denotes that there is an assessment attached to the plan as the child/young person and/or their family have needs which require a deeper understanding before a plan can be completed.A ‘my assessment’ often involves the support of an Early Help Co-ordinator. The new ‘Graduated Early Help Pathway’ builds on the positives of the Common Assessment Framework and SEND Graduated Pathway to develop one, holistic pathway of early help and support.

Conducting a ‘my assessment’ gives everybody involved (sometimes called a Team Around the Child or TAC) a chance to air their views and express their hopes for the future. The child and their family also contribute to the ‘my assessment’ by telling their ‘story’ and providing a background to the need for support. The team around the child look at the support and help already in place for a child and explore what is available through the Local Offer. The plan is then agreed and as with My Plan, My Plan+ uses regular reviews to show what is working / not working towards the outcomes to be achieved.

How do we assess and evaluate the provision we have arranged for your child?

The SENCo work together with a SEN Governor to oversee and ensure implementation of the provision in school. The SEN governor will meet with the SENCo at least annually. 

SEND is discussed at staff meetings and pupil progress meetings as appropriate to ensure all staff receive updated information and training. SEND forms part of the whole school monitoring programme and this involves a variety of activities to evaluate the effectiveness of provision, including pupil conferencing, work scrutiny, planning scrutiny, individual pupil pursuits and the tracking of attainment and progress.

Who will be working with your child?

Your child’s teacher will organise the support required which may include individual or group support from a teaching assistant. For some children other agencies may also involve, for example a Speech Therapist, an advisory teacher or an Educational Psychologist. For these children support is organised by the class teacher after discussion with the Inclusion leader. Support for children with an EHCP will be outlined on their plan according to their individual needs.

How does Oak Hill ensure that the information about a child’s SEND or EHCP is shared and understood by teachers and all relevant staff who come into contact with that child?

All children with SEN at Oak Hill have a Pen Portrait.  This is a one-sheet summary of their needs that is used to share individual needs with any staff working with a child.  

My Plan, My Plan + or EHCP and details of children’s individual needs are given to staff who regularly work with the child. They are also available in the classrooms for supply staff.

What role will the child’s teacher play?

The child’s teacher takes a lead role in assessing individual needs and organising support through My Plan, My Plan+ and is also involved in writing EHCPs.  They are supported in their role by the school’s SENCo.

Which other services do we use to provide for and support our pupils?

Services used are relevant to individual needs and may include:  

  • School Nurse 

  • LA support services  

  • Educational Psychologist  

  • Advisory teachers  

  • Speech and Language Therapists  

  • Occupational Therapists 

Outside agencies may be involved in the review and setting of outcomes for children with SEND

What role do the governors have in SEND provision?

The governors determine, with the Headteacher, the school's approach to SEND provision and establish the necessary staffing and funding to meet the needs of SEND pupils and Looked After Children. The governors monitor the progress of pupils with SEND through the Review of Standards and report to parents on the implementation of the school's SEND policy.

A SEND Governor is appointed by the governing body to oversee the school's SEND provision. They monitor the school's implementation and evaluation of its SEND policy, ensures that parents are notified when a decision has been made to provide SEND support for a child and keeps the governing body informed about the school's provision. On an annual basis they conduct a survey of the parents / carers of SEND pupils to hear their views and to establish what is going well and what needs to be improved.

What can a parent do if they are not happy with the SEN support being offered by the school?

If a parent has a concern about the SEND provision being made for their child they should initially talk to their child’s class teacher. The SENCo is also available to discuss with parents any issues that concern them, as are the Headteacher and the SEND Governor.

Useful Links

School Policies with close links to SEND Provision:  http://www.oakhill.gloucs.sch.uk/statutory_information/policies_and_reports/policies.html

  Behaviour & Discipline and Anti-bullying
  Supporting Pupils with Medical Needs
  Intimate Care
  Health & Safety
  Equal Opportunities
  Teaching, Learning & Curriculum
  Early Help

 SENDIASS (formally known as the Parent Partnership Service)


 Gloucestershire County Council


 IPSEA (Independent Parent Special Education Advice service)


 Gloucestershire’s SEND local offer http://www.glosfamiliesdirectory.org.uk/kb5/gloucs/glosfamilies/family.page?familychannel=2

Please note this website is under review. Thank you for your patience whilst we are updating.  If you have any queries please contact us (January 2023)